Simon Bills Blog - To view this header please ensure you have Flash installed.

Monday 10 August 2009

New babies, new computers, spider close ups and air guitars - just another London weekend

Seven year old in the Apple store "But mummy, I've been asking for one since I was six"

Mum "Just because you've been asking for it doesn't mean you're entitled to it. I asked for a horse since I was six and didn't get one till I was 40"

Mother/son conversations like this are what I love about England, where else in the world does a mother tell her son he'll have to wait for an ipod because she had to wait for a horse? Tremendous. It was early Saturday morning (okay, well, late Saturday morning, maybe even early afternoon, but it felt early) and I was still buzzing from the UK Air Guitar Championships the night before (kudos Wild Thing 37, you rocked all our worlds), furthermore i was in the mood to buy something special. Something with the word "Pro" in the title. Some sort of laptop. Yes, this was the morning I would take the leap into the big bad world of Apple computing and invest in a super sexy MacBook Pro. 2 days in and it's rocking my world.

Sunday was a new adventure altogether, a story that would take me all the way to Richmond to shoot a baby and frolic with deer at the park. I met Ami almost 5 years ago in Egypt, a fellow Adelaidean also living in the UK, we'd not really kept in touch in the mean time so I was delighted to get an email from her a few months back asking if I'd take some photos of her baby (which wasn't born at that stage). Since Egypt she'd met and married Michael, a lovely English chap, and was still living in London. She's been receiving my increasingly irregular group emails (it's 2009 people, get on the blog train!) which is how she knew about my photography business and to top it all off her brother Nat who I also met in Egypt happened to be in town too so it was a reunion for the ages!

I present the beautiful baby Freya a few days shy of 4 weeks.












It would have been remiss of me not to have a picnic in the park seeing as I was all the way out at Richmond (a looong way from gritty Old Street when TfL aren't coming to the party with efficient public transport). I recruited the lovely Yvonne and the jumping Josh as my picnic companions, and with the weather being a perfect 25 degrees and clear the scene was set for a magic afternoon. We managed to find a gorgeous little area nestled among some trees and things to lay out our picnic and enjoy a mid afternoon nap, our dreams of being woken by deer nibbling at our toes were replaced with the reality of spiders and bugs crawling on us, but it was still an excellent afternoon thanks to some playful dogs and warm afternoon sun.









0 comments: