Simon Bills Blog - To view this header please ensure you have Flash installed.

Tuesday 13 October 2009

Wedding: Lara and David

I'd been sick all week, and restless night were filled with fevered dreams of the wedding I had to shoot on Sunday. My health improved slightly as the week progressed, but I was far from 100% when Sunday rolled round so I was glad to at least be on familiar territory. Danny and I returned to the fantastic Montague on the Gardens hotel in Russell Square where the familiar sight of Gerhard and team were there to greet us, this time for the wedding of Lara and David, and what a wedding it turned out to be!

First of all let me say a massive thanks to Lara and David for being such an awesome couple to shoot, they'd allocated us plenty of time to shoot and as a result we were able to get some great unique shots. This was the smallest wedding we've done with just 25 guests, but less is more as far as I"m concerned, the day had a very intimate feel throughout and gave everyone the chance to spend some quality time with the couple.

It was my turn to take shots of the groom getting ready (for whatever reason I usually end up shooting the bride) so it was great to try something different. While Danny was hitting home run after home run with his bridal shots (seriously, these shots are amazing) I took the groom and his parents down to the park for some casual portraits.







(David's Swiss parents loved the squirrels in the park, and so did I - I still get a kick out of seeing them running round!)




The ceremony was held in a small atrium, a perfect little glass ceilinged room full of natural light. And love.







Following the ceremony we took the formals before getting the whole group together outside for a shot. I was standing precariously on a narrow wall next the BBQ for this one!







While everyone settled in for lunch I was feverishly working away on the laptop putting together a slideshow for later on. This was the first time I've done this and I'm convinced this has to be a regular thing moving forwards, having shots to show the couple on the day is great, and it's a perfect way to make the reception guests who weren't at the ceremony feel involved in the whole day. Once I had the shots from the first part of the day sorted dinner was finished and we headed out with just the couple for some coupley shots. As luck would have it light rain was coming down, but sometimes you have to roll with the punches so we grabbed some umbrellas and set about making some memories.





















As you can see the sun came out right at the end, the perfect end to a perfect wedding. Ok, who am I kidding, we all know the slideshow was the perfect end to the perfect wedding!



4 comments:

Lara said...

Hi Simon!! What a lovely post!! We absolutely loved working with you and Danny, and we received so many compliments on the slideshow. It was a spectacular day for us - it seemed like we were laughing non-stop all day :) Warm wishes from us both, Lara & David.

Simon Bills said...

Hey Lara, glad you guys had a blast, we loved it too!! It was a bit disappointing we weren't around to receive any slideshow kudos so it's good to hear it was well received!

Anna K said...

How do you even manage to get such amazing shots when you're sick?! You're like the photographer version of crack! Gorgeous shots and the Montague and Russell Sq Gardens look even more beautiful in autumn...(LOVE the shots with the leaves)...I want to get married there again! Great work, Anna

Simon Bills said...

Awww shucks! The trick to getting great photos is having glamorous brides, you girls make our job a piece of cake!!