Simon Bills Blog - To view this header please ensure you have Flash installed.

Friday 25 December 2009

Merry Christmas y'all

Merry Christmas internet! My gift to you is the gift of knowledge, passed on in my last 2 instructional posts, this information will no doubt prove invaluable should you wish to give your parents a heart attack or smuggle excess baggage on a long haul flight. Information is the gift that keeps on giving.

Last night we had Dad's side of the family's Christmas bash, a great night of catching up with seldom seen relatives, sampling home made beers and wines and stuffing ourselves full of amazing food. Dad's one of 5 kids and because the venue of Christmas gets rotated each year the last time I was at this house was 5 years ago. Or at least it would have been if I wasn't snowboarding in Austria. My count back concluded that I'd not been to Chris and Jo's house in 10 years. I'm pretty sure I was wearing a hyper colour t-shirt last time I was there (although surely I wasn't wearing hyper colour at age 21? SURELY!?!) It was the perfect venue for a great night, nesstled in the southern Adelaide Hills surrounded by gum trees and wilderness it was the polar opposite of my time in London and I loved it! (as a side note this time last year I was also somewhere pretty amazing, taking in the Northern Lights in Norway - if you scroll down this post a bit you'll see some photos)



We got all bar 3 cousins in for this photo, one of the most complete shots we've had in recent years (or perhaps not, I just assume because I've not been there no one has!). Anyway, here's my extremely good looking family.



It's funny, when a family is young and kids are running round everywhere Christmas is a magical time of gifts and excitement, but as the kids become adults their aunties and uncles stop giving them presents and the gifting skips a generation. It all becomes about this guy, a handsome devil of a 91 year old I call Grandpa.



And here are the kids of the family....



Everyone loves a cheesy fake laughter photo (although this one almost looks real doesn't it?)



Today we had a low key lunch with the immediate family and Mum's mum. I took the chance to experiment with a bit of off camera flash using my 580EXII as the on camera master (bounced off the ceiling set at -1 exposure) and Dad's 430EXII as the slave to the right. It's a pretty subtle effect but I was really pleased with how the lighting turned out.



Have a good one all!!


0 comments: