Simon Bills Blog - To view this header please ensure you have Flash installed.

Sunday 6 September 2009

My annual night of clubbing

Every once in a while, perhaps 12 months or so, I find myself enthusiastically agreeing to hit a London club in search of good times, carefree dancing and, well, more good times. And, like clockwork, each year I also find myself wondering why I thought it would be fun this time and why so many people go to these clubs.... while I eat a kebab and chips, or some chicken nuggets as was the case last night, on my couch at 2am, ears still ringing.

But perhaps I'm being harsh, the night on the whole was a lot of fun, but that was more to do with catching up with friends from the canal boat trip and spending a few hours at the comedy cafe. (Note to any comedy club owners who happen to be stopping by simonbills.com - resist the temptation to allow stag parties to come into your club, it might be 20 extra bums on seats but it results in 100 other punters who''ll never come back after having the show largely ruined by a bunch of lads trying to out do each other with brainless heckles). In a moment of brilliant foresight one of our party had taken the initiative to get our names on the door of at the club, that's right, no line up for us. Problem was our names weren't actually on the door when we showed up, and after 20 minutes of investigation it become apparent that she had added our names to an Australian club of the same name. I'm sure the doorman at Sydney's Cargo was crestfallen when the 10 guests for Mr Reimers' leaving party were no shows.

So, why do I hate clubs? I guess it's the combination of music too loud to talk, room too dark to see and drinks too expensive to justify. I love a night at the pub, sitting round a table with friends supping a few pints or some tasty wine and discussing the reasons the world would be a better place if we were in charge, but when the chat is removed from the evening by intrusively loud music it's just not as fun.

But you didn't come here to hear my rabbit on about getting old and not understanding the kids of today did you? Here's a few pics I took yesterday at Greenwich (I love that place, there was a wedding right around where the first 2 photos were taken, I'd give my eye teeth to be that photographer, stunning timeless scenes everywhere just waiting to be shot). I've just been playing around with creating the these 3 image triptychs in Lightroom, I think they look pretty cool and they're easy to do quickly now I have my preset saved, look out for more in the future!







1 comments:

Joel said...

Amen to your opinions about clubs! And great photography as always.