Simon Bills Blog - To view this header please ensure you have Flash installed.

Friday 1 January 2010

Hot weddings

I've recently had the pleasure of attending 2 weddings (on consecutive Wednesday's no less) as a guest rather than photographer. I like it. Sue and Luke were married on a 41 degree day down by the beach on December 23, I left my big camera at home and only took a handful of shots on my indestructible Olympus point and shoot - indestructible it may be, but capable of taking good photos in anything other than perfect lighting it is not! As a result I don't have anything to share from this wedding, luckily I've got something else to show you.

On Wedneday just been I had the honour of being a driver for the wedding of Rachel and Robin on a 39 degree day, this meant I got to hang out with Robin and the groomsmen all day, and as a result I managed to get a few nice photos. I wasn't the photographer in any official capacity, but I was tasked with taking a few shots of the groomsmen's "secret event" on the morning of the wedding. Shrouded in mystery we drove as a convoy of 2 cars at 9 am, cars filled with a groom, 6 groomsmen, and a handsome devil of a driver / photographer. Before I reveal the secret event I feel a little background is in order. Robin spent 4 years playing basketball at college in America 10 years ago, since that time he's led 2 lives with 2 sets of friends, separated by the Pacific Ocean and an 18 hour time zone difference, this wedding represented the coming together of 2 worlds. One common link between these worlds was basketball, 3 of his groomsmen were college team mates, 2 were Australians who love the game and the other a Swedish brother in law who perhaps didn't have quite the same experience but was up for anything.

The groomsmen were led to a basketball court and presented with special team Groomsmen singlets before indulging in an hour or so of hoops. It was perfect. The pressure and stress of getting everything perfect for the day instantly melted away and everyone was 21 years old again without a care in the world.











With 6 groomsmen plus a groom making 7 it was clear another player was required for some 4 on 4. The time had come to put down the camera and unleash the fury of a man 10 years past him prime who was never that good to start with.

WIth "official" duties over I could relax. I had my camera handy so took a few shots through the day, but as a disclaimer I didn't have my photographer's hat on so I just shot from where I happened to be positioned as opposed to roaming freely (but discretetly) to get better angles.

(this first shot was of the groomsman Matt, he was under strict instructions from his wife not to smile too hard as it's such a lot of teeth for the viewer to deal with- I think you've got a beautiful smile Matt!!)





















Probably the best speeches I've heard at a wedding, tender, funny, real, loving - hardly a dry eye in the house.

Just a quick one for the photographers out there, the light for the speeches was minimal and the last 3 shots were taken at ISO6400, f/2.8, 1/60th with no tripod or flash, absolutely amazing what the 5DmkII can produce, it blows my mind!!

I'm now back in Adelaide indefinitely and taking bookings for weddings and portraits, if you're interested or know someone who is please get in touch on the email address at the top of the page and I can give you a few more details.



0 comments: