Simon Bills Blog - To view this header please ensure you have Flash installed.

Thursday 14 January 2010

Miranda and Dan: Maternity Shoot

Yesterday I had the pleasure of taking a heavily pregnant Miranda and her husband Dan for a maternity shoot around Adelaide. Now, I've seen pregnant girls in my time, but I've never seen one who looks like Miranda before, everything about her looked identical to when I last saw her 12 months ago, only she had a basketball stuffed under top. It was almost comical.

We headed to a couple of places I plan on becoming very familiar with as I shoot more weddings and portraits round Adelaide, the botanic gardens and the beach. As expected both places were a treasure trove of photographic ideas and I'm super happy with how the shots have turned out.

For the photographers out there, I've learnt in recent weeks just how different the light is in Australia compared to the UK, it's so harsh and there's just so much of it. In the UK most of the time it's cloudy and you don't really need to consider where the sun is in the sky, over here it's a whole new world which I'm loving wrapping my head around. Harsh bright sun can be tricky but you can also get some interesting effects, I used my reflector yesterday for the first time in 12 months and it was gold.





















Don't forget, if you're after a wedding or portrait photographer or know someone who is then get in touch.

Oh, in other exciting news my new website is all but complete, I will be launching it at midday tomorrow (Friday) so make sure you check in!!


2 comments:

Joel said...

Hi Billo,
I've been looking forward to seeing how you handled the different light here in Australia. Personally, as an amateur, I find it really difficult to take good shots during the middle hours of the day here just because, as you said, the light is so harsh. But these photos you've taken are great..as usual. I'm also loving seeing photographs of places I know, enjoying seeing your unique view of these places. If I know of any people in need of a wedding/portrait photographer I will definately pass your name onto them.

Simon Bills said...

Sweet, thanks Joel.

We started this shoot at around 4:30 in the gardens and got to the beach around 6:30, ideally I'd want to start a shoot around 6:30 and shoot till just after the sun goes down but we had tickets for the 36ers so we had to shift it forward!